taking flight into art, love, and life (the blog)
Saturday, February 24, 2007
the same thing happened when i discovered art. the feeling of inspiration gave me perspective, clarity, and the feeling of lightness. the cluttered house doesn't make me cringe as much anymore. i know what i want to be when i grow up, so to speak. it's ok when my social work job is tough - i have a nice balance between it and making art. i had a phone conversation with a friend today about her personal unearthing of the thing that is bringing her love and inspiration and i couldn't be happier for her. these things, these findings, are life changing, as simple as they may be. passion is everything.
"kelly rae, spill wide" was written to me by SWH recently on a piece of art i bought from her, and today, this weekend, i am trying my best to do just that: spill wide. i'm working on a project with possibility. it may take me in a new direction, it may not. but the journey of putting it together is what's important to me. i want to spill my heart and joy and senses into it and see what happens. isn't this what it's all about?
When I finally put paint onto paper, my heart + life exploded with renewed passion and joy.Read more about my story.
My Painting E-course
It's Here! It's Here! You won't want to miss it.
Click here to get all the details.
NEW 30-Day Ecourse!
Get ready for a spiritual practice, and shaking up our morning routine to include compassionate self-talk, mantras, and getting dressed in JOY.Click here to join us!
This e-book is a game changer!Click here to get all the details.
Beauty + Truth
My mission is to create beautiful, meaningful artwork that tells the truth.
product with meaning
I believe in creating home + gift products that blend beauty, function, & honesty.
Retailers, click here for wholesale info
grab a button!
my journey (in chronological order from 2006 - 2009 ) into the creative life
- the whispers of inspiration
- the beginning
- feeling my heart lift
- first attempt at girlie painting
- humble beginnings
- i've come a long way since this
- when everything changed
- finding my style
- a review of that first year
- deciding to take the leap
- selling my first item on etsy
- beginning to build a business
- launching my website
- learning to be fearless
- still working out my style
- up up and away
- my first showing
- first gallery opening
- spilling myself into a book proposal
- book proposal accepted!
- the gremlins
- a more cohesive style emerges
- working on book projects
- published in a magazine for the first time
- a trip to ohio to meet with book publisher
- quitting my day job
- where i wrote the book
- embracing my vulnerabilities
- showing at a big san fran art festival
- licensing for the first time
- on guilt + the blues
- becoming a possibilitarian
- figuring out wholeness
- on becoming
- on saying no
- on magic + beginnings
- on anxiety
- finally seeing myself
- finding my community
- book is released
- teaching for the first time
- thoughts on riding the wave
- teaching in italy
- new studio space in seattle
- creative style turning point
- pretending until we're not
- new affirmation paintings emerge
- hired an assistant
- first keynote
- national product (home + gift) line debuts with DEMDACO
- new gift line debuts with demdaco
- love is the only thing that matters
- brand new website debuts
- first ever calendars + datebooks debut!
- feeling the pressure of it all
- on getting lovebombed (again)
- figuring out how to take care of myself
- on wanting to pinch myself
- on giving my medicine to the world
- some thoughts after three years of all of this
- on expanding my biz vision after a trip to kansas
- telling the truth about hard days
- on creative expansiveness
- on staying true in biz
- 2009 year in review
The Creative/biz journey continues in chronological order (2010 - present)
atlanta gift show part two!
on being brave
decorative art girlies arrive!
cover of somerset studio magazine!
it's about capacity + connection
announced my first e-course!
got an agent and a logo!
attending surtex in nyc for the first time!
why writing a letter to myself worked magic
on what it's like to run an ecourse
expanding our personal horizons
ranking #1 in gift beat's wall art category!
on inviting abundance of all kinds
decided not to play small
ranked #1 in gftbeat's inspirational category!
two year book anniversary
hired a portland asst!
babies make their appearance in my work!
new gift products are introduced
on missing my beginner artist self
featured in 10 pg national mag
traveled to China to see where products are made
announced new home decor line!
home decor line launches
celebrated 5 years of this life
greeting cards launched
moved oinline shop out of my house
launched hello soul, hello business
savoring vs dreaming
made a huge decision about online shop