taking flight into art, love, and life (the blog)

Thursday, January 15, 2009

another tour: the new studio

i'm so excited to share the new studio space with you guys. when it was all said and done, i was totally in love with the set up, the organization, the color, and the inspiration. i went back and forth on whether or not i wanted to set up a space in our home, or if i wanted to have a studio space outside the home. ultimately, i decided to keep it at home, upstairs in one of the spare bedrooms. it's a smallish room, requiring a bit of creative organization, as i really needed this room to be fully functional both for creating and for the business end (files, shipping supplies, computer work, printer, scanner, etc) of what i do. so here we go....a tour of a VERY clean and tidy studio (before it got all messy with paint)!

when we moved in, the walls in this room were already painted a vibrant, funky green  - perfect for a creative space. i already had one ikea work table and decided to get two more and put them all together to create an L shape. the tables are adjusted to stand higher than a standard table height as i prefer to work standing up. the long side of the L is where i create/paint and the short side of the L (where the chair is) is where i do office/computer work. i love that i can house all of my most used components (scanner, printer, paints, computer, etc) all on one table top while still having defined areas for each. 
john made this bookshelf for me a couple of years ago out of salvage wood found at portland's home rebuilding center. it's one of my absolute favorite pieces - super sturdy and holds white wooden boxes (ikea) that store all sorts of supplies. to the left of the bookshelf is a large window that holds one of our stained glass pieces, and on a clear day, i can see the olympic range from that window (gorgeous). the sisal rug (also found at ikea) has a plastic backing - perfect for protecting the carpet from inevitable paint spills. the white chair and trash can are also from ikea (it was one very long day at the local ikea - hilarious, i tell you!).

over the holidays, my mom made some lovely table curtains for me using some gorgeous amy butler fabric (i could melt into her fabrics - seriously). attached to the tables with velcro, the curtains are perfect for concealing more supplies under the tables that i need to access on a regular basis (i have a couple rolling tupperware containers directly underneath my painting area that hold all sorts of stuff, including more paint, inks, pens, pencils, ephemera, stamps, etc). the take flight banner was custom made by etsy seller, meringue designs, and it's purely inspirational (i love it). above the banner is the heart my sister made for our wedding cake years ago. it reads blessed be on it and it's one of my most treasured gifts ever. the wooden frame on the wall was found years ago on the side of the road. 

the wire inspiration line (for photos, inspiration, reminders, etc) that spans the entire length of the wall came from ikea - i love how the clips make it easy to take things on/off the wire (a fave).

i found this old yellow metal tool box at a junk store recently and am using it to store most of my fluid acrylic paints. love this. it's got a handle and everything :)

loving my heap of painting aprons hanging on the bookshelf. curtain ties are left over fabric from the table curtains. 

the letter K (anthropologie) is a perfect bookend to my stash of creative magazines on the book shelf. next to it is a peach vintage glass that holds some of my sea glass (oh how i love to find sea glass!).

a bit of book inspiration on the shelves, along with a couple art journals from taking flight
hanging on the wall by the door, is this little winged project - also made for taking flight. made from an old metal doorknob holder, it holds a beloved photo of my mom.

this is a close-up of my work/office/computer area. the bins to the right are fabric boxes made to go inside a hanging clothes shelf, but i'm using them to hold various paper, mattes, and shipping supplies. and i absolutely love my white desktop carousel - perfect for holding pens, scissors, postcards, tape, and more. and last, but not least, a favorite photo of me and john is tacked to the wall. 

what you can't see is the large closet on the opposite wall from this window. it has shelves and plenty of space to hold more shipping supplies, boxes, and more - things that i don't need to get to very often but are nice to have around in the studio. 

so that's the tour. for me, it's really important that my creative space be colorful, and that it house some of my favorite things - things that speak to my heart and make me happy. it's a room i'll be spending a ton of time in and i hope it continues to inspire me to do my best, create fearlessly, and to enjoy it every step of the way. 

************************************
ps - thanks for all the celebration comments in my last post. i am still sick over here. i finally saw a doctor today and am now on prescription drugs for a nasty ear infection/bronchitis/sinus infection (all at once, oh my!), but your comments have really lifted me up as i rest and wait for a full recovery.

xo

57 comments:

Tinniegirl said...

Your space is wonderful. I've just revamped my studio at home and you have given me some great ideas for a few little finishing touches. I really like the way you have combined the tables into a workstation and the fabric covers to create hidden storage.

Thanks for the ideas and inspiration.

~Barb~ said...

I'm working on getting my studio to be more work friendly and more colorful and filled with inspirational things. Your space gives me such a warm and fuzzy feeling. Awesome!
Peace & Love,
~Barb~

Sara Moriarty-delaFuente said...

To me, it is so special when an artist that I admire honors me with a look into her creative work space. I believe I learned alot about you through this tour and certainly gained much inspiration. Thank you for this.

~Sara

Angie in AZ said...

I've been enjoying your home tour. Love the studio. It's so YOU! You've given me some ideas for my own studio. Love the tool box for the paint! And the wire line! I am studio-less right now as I had to give mine up to dh and am going to get moved into a smaller bedroom space so I have been brainstorming how to fit everything and organize it. I think I need a trip to Ikea!

mystele said...

kelly, it's fabulous!

Amanda said...

It looks like the perfect place for creating! I've been reworking my creative space this week...I wish I had an entire room to dedicate to the process.

Keep taking good care of yourself, I hope you feel better soon!

Jennifer/The Word Cellar said...

Hope you're feeling better soon. Then can you come and help me create my creative space? :) I know what I love visually when I see it, but I feel a bit rubbish trying to put it all together. Because of that, my house still doesn't feel like *me*, even after living here for nearly five years. Which sounds kind of depressing, eh? But your lovely studio tour is making me feel inspired to try once more.

Carol Sloan said...

I'm glad that you're on medication. I just started some today (well, it's yesterday now...)So, hopefully we will BOTH be feelin' much better soon! Love the studio shots, esp. the Amy Butler fabric! I keep my acrylic paint in the top (pull out) of a carpenter's tool box. Works great,transports easily and looks cool. The best thing is that my step dad made it. He passed away 6 years ago but I love using his stuff.

Nicole Austin said...

i love your studio, it is an absolute dream! very enchanting. thank you for sharing. i am inspired to go back into my studio and reorganize a bit...i've been avoiding it ever since it exploded with supplies, all over the place (one too many busy nights and not enough clean-up time!)

nicole

Anita Davies said...

Wise move to create a space indoors, I had an outdoor space built and found it hard to leave the family to go create, I too now have an indoor space and I love it!
Love your inspiration wires...Cool!

Cindy said...

I'm so glad I found your blog! You are such an inspiration to me.
Thank you for giving a tour of your studio it's beautiful. The book case is amazing!! Your husband is super talented too.

I have a wire line with clips in my humble little space too. I love it!

I look forward to seeing more of your work. Thank you for being an inspiration!

katie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
katie said...

beautiful space kelly rae.

Jennifer Valentine said...

It is so kind of you to include me and my creation in your post...

Your studio is absolutely lovely. Thanks for the tour!

Feel better soon.
xoxo

BJ Lantz said...

What a lovely, light space. I am sure you'll have many happy lost hours there. I decided to keep my studio at home as well, starting with one of our three bedrooms. A couple years ago, I took over the second of those bedrooms, separating the technical from the hands-on art (we now have no guest room :-) and I painted the one I spend the most time in lime green! I find it a cheery & calming color all at once.

Feel better soon; sick is no fun :-(

Sandi Keene said...

Love the inspiration wire too! Your room reflects you.

The Blue Plum Shop said...

What a wonderful room! It's so bright and cheery. I bet you get lots of inspiration there.

Marilyn Miller said...

Enjoyed seeing your work space. Where is the computer monitor?

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Connie said...

Everything you touch lends itself to defining beauty. Thanks so much for the tour of your world. Hope you start feeling well real soon!

Peace & Love.

Katie said...

What a gorgeous (and functional) room. Thanks for sharing! :)Hope you feel better soon.

Maegan Beishline said...

Great space, Kelly! I'm reading your book right now and I have to tell you how great it is that you can be so open about your process and, now, your creative space. It really helps the amateur like myself to feel more comfortable experimenting! Thanks!

Sherry Goodloe said...

What a lovely studio you have created Kelly Rae! Thank you for sharing :)

On another note, I bought your book a couple of months ago, have read it cover to cover and cover to cover again. I have started "playing" with some of the techniques. Stop by and critique my work in progress on my last 2 blog posts if you get a chance.

oksana said...

Your studio is wonderful! Cozy and has a lots of light! And good organized!
Wish you all best!

tricia said...

Really great space, it's beautiful:) Hope you feel better soon!

AK said...

your studio is sooo pretty!!! thanks for sharing ;)

kayla said...

so insanely jealous. Everything is so cute, functional, and perfect. I am pining over your new studio. The inspo wires are awesome and the fabric is lovely. Oh how I love it all!! Hope you feel better. My mom loved the print I bought!! I made a little mini book to go along with it using different affirmations in the painting. It's on my blog if you want to take a look. Hope you feel better soon!!

Stacey said...

Oooo...your space is beautiful! Love that book shelf....and all the details - a very creative place!

Anonymous said...

Kelly,
Love your cute space! Thanks for letting us take a peek! Re-reading your book and enjoying it all over again. Penny in MO

Emme said...

Kelly, your next book needs to be all about creating dreamy spaces! I'm inspired, getting new ideas for my spaces as we speak/type! Thanks for sharing, hope you feel better soon!

Judy Merrill-Smith said...

Thanks for the tour! I especially love the bookshelf, and the window frame.

Rowena said...

Lovely studio. What an inspiration.

Black Rose said...

Oh my gosh it's very welcoming and warm - I want a studio space like this!!

Little Fragments said...

Hello Kelly- My first time stopping in at your blog and sheesh I have been missing out! I adore your work & love your studio. Thank you so much for sharing and for adding the links to were you got items! :) That was wonderful. You truly have a lovely space. It is so nice to have a place right at home.... I sure do hope that you get to feeling better very soon. Take Care.

Elizabeth said...

I love the space. Very colorful and inspiring. Thanks for the ideas and inspiration! I will have to see if Ikea still has those wires.

Tina said...

Lovely! The best beach in Seattle for beachcombing is Carkeek in North Seattle. If you need an excellent naturopath check out Bobbi Lutack. She's wonderful!

purplecat said...

Thanks for sharing your space with us!
I just got your book-hey I am already flying! thanks so much

Robin said...

I hope you feel better soon.

I LOVE your space! I am totally motivated to go and make mine as awesome! Thanks.

paris parfait said...

It looks fabulous as well as functional. Love the bookcase your husband made!

Nikole said...

Your space is so, so lovely and inspiring. I love how you have shared both the beauty and the practical side of your work space. Thank you for another glimpse into your gorgeous home. Well wishes for you!

kerin said...

A truly charming and inspiring space! I'm sure everyone in the "Where Women Create" group on Facebook would love to see these too. I'll send you an invite and I hope you are feeling better. : )

Karine Ardault said...

Your studio space is wonderful. The inspiration line is a great idea.
Thank you for letting us visit your inspiration space!

taylor said...

beautiful

Anonymous said...

Hope you feel better :(

I AM JEALOUS!! But, just looking at the pictures of your studio is so motivating. The room seems so calm.

Happy creating!
Laura

alecat said...

Thank you so much for sharing. Lots of wonderful ideas.
I hope you don't mind, but I've made a few notes of how we may just use a few ideas in our homeschool learning room! :)

ENJOY your lovely room!

Jill said...

I love your new creative space. I too love the color in your room. In fact I love all the colors in your home. Thank you for sharing where you got some of your organizing furniture(IKEA is GREAT!!)
Feel better my dear and rest up. The world awaits for more of your art work.
Smiles and xoxo~ Jill
nalettejm@yahoo.com

cynthia Gunsinger said...

Lovely post! It gives me some great ideas for improving my studio...

Steph said...

Your studio is beautiful and I love your Inspiration Line! Thank you for sharing these pieces of your home with us. :)

My name is Pearle said...

You have a beautiful art space and there is so much gorgeous light!

Vanessa, Florida, USA said...

LOVE your artistic space! So inspiring :-) Thank you so much for posting photos! I love your book and I can't get enough of it... I recently ordered one of your prints on Etsy... beautiful work! Hope you're feeling better...

Vanessa

lia said...

oh, my, gosh. what a dreamy, dreamy space. every. inch! thanks for letting us have a peek! love the inspiration line...and the table skirts. oh my, I want to redo another room in my house now! lol! you are such a huge inspiration to me!!

Kiki Finlayson said...

Love your space-and your assurance that it won't always be so clean. I've just done my space as well and love seeing other studios and learning how others solve problems like the carpet. Would you please talk about the Pitt pens you use (which kind, how you use them, your favorites, etc.)? I haven't used these and they sound wonderful!

SmilynStef said...

So many great ideas in your lovely space ... I was particuarly drawn to your custom made banner ... so much so, that it inspired me to make a card:

It's a Banner Day!

Thanks so much for the inspiration.

Boho Girl said...

YUM.

Bijous Whimsy's Blog said...

Your studio is lovely...so girlish, welcoming, nostaglic, clean, fun and inviting. You've done an amazing job settling into your new home..which, from your photos looks so lovely. Congrats and thanks for sharing your working space, I love seeing where my favourite artists create their beauty. Be Well, Mandy

Katrina said...

i love seeing your studio space all moved-in and ready to create! the inspiration wire is dreamy. and the storage boxes on the john-made-shelves too. ooo, i love it! hope you are happily creating and nesting too. xoxo, k.

Bev said...

Just look at all the comments about your studio...that's because it's just gorgeous. It's so bright and makes one feel free to do all the creating I'm sure you do there!!! I have a small space (what was my dining area) but it's MINE..hehehe!!! Blessings,
Bevie

Pam said...

Your studio is beautiful!





circles