mati rose inside the amazing abc home store in nyc.
i'm so glad mati and i went to nyc to see surtex and the ny stationery show. i've been meaning to go the last couple of years to check it out and finally (finally!) made it this year. my work was represented by my licensing agency over on the surtex side (surtex and stationery shows are in the same building) and it was really informative to see how other artists are represented at the show (either by themselves or by a licensing agency). for those of you interested in licensing your work, the surtex show is an option you should look into. we'll be discussing more of this in detail in my ecourse coming up soon!
over on the stationery side were all your favorite stationery companies showcasing their latest designs. it was so inspiring to walk the halls and see artwork and designs galore. design sponge always does a great job of wrapping up the show with great photos/descriptions if you're interested.
but what i loved most of all about wandering around nyc and the shows was all the socializing and visiting with friends (old and new):
one of my oldest friends, clare, had her second baby (boy!) just a couple of days before i arrived so i got to meet him at their nyc apt. our baby bumps were a match and look at how preciously tiny he is! another of my oldest friends, karen, was there too. and my goodness, a couple of hours in the company of old friends did my soul some good. i really needed it after the tough week i had prior to nyc.
(nancy, jo, leigh, me)
one of the highlights of the show was getting to visit with leigh (aka curly girl). we met last year through our partnerships with demdaco and she's been a kindred since then - always delightful, generous with her knowledge, and charming, charming. she's one of those girls you wished lived in your neighborhood instead of 3000 miles away. there's a reason her designs are so loved around the world....
i also had the opportunity to meet nancy soriano and jo packman - i'm giant fans of these two women so it was awesome to meet them in person and chat for a bit. i really love it when you meet your heros and they are as nice in person as you imagined they would be. nancy, the former editor of country living magazine, and jo, the woman behind where women create, have teamed up to host The Creative Connection - a three day conference for creative women, crafters, do it yourselfers, and entrepreneurs. if this conference weren't just before my due date (sept 2010), i'd be there in a heartbeat. it's definitely on the calendar for next year.
* loved meeting jessica swift, artist and blogger (awesome blog), who had her own booth at the surtex show. it looked incredible and she's delightful.
* also loved meeting michelle ward of when i grow up creative coaching. loved her energy...
* meeting lacy of lacylike.com and cindy - both creative souls with so much passion and energy. cindy also had a booth at surtex that looked amazing!
* seeing an abandoned dirty white billboard with "bless yourself" spray painted on it.
* seeing a school busy on a busy nyc street with a piece of paper that said "hope" taped to one of its windows
* finding some prego shirts on sale at anthro with mati. they're big...and cute!
* eating delicious food at charming cafes. i seriously love visiting nyc.