taking flight into art, love, and life (the blog)

Tuesday, February 05, 2013

hospital love

(signed print available here, wall canvas available here)

The other day my sister was at Bronson Methodist Hospital in Michigan. She was with a friend who was having a suspicious lump removed. Hearts were heavy. As they were walking down the hall, they saw my canvas reproductions (including this one) hanging on the walls. My sister sent me a text. She said my art was on the walls, that is was an inspiration to women who were scared, hurting, uncertain.

Having worked many many years as a medical social worker in hospitals before becoming a full time artist, I always love the full circle moments that come when I hear stories of my art being found in hospitals. Hospitals are where I grew up in my 20's, leaning into the burdens and lightness that illness or uncertainty can bring to families. It's where I found life, and stories, and courage in every room, in every medical chart. It's where I learned that Hope was as strong a medicine as any other life saving treatment.

As I read the text from my sister, I felt that full circle blessing again. I cannot tell you how much I love that hospitals are supporting my work. I cannot tell you how much I love that it's giving patients and families a meaningful way, even if just for a brief moment when they pass it by in the halls, to be centered in their courage, vulnerability, and hope. I love the full circle-ness, too, that creating art is healing and nurturing and joyful for me and then, like the best of serendipity, it goes out into the world to become a small portal for someone else's healing and nurturing and joy when, against all odds, they find it staring back at them in a boutique, a hospital room, or office . I cannot tell you how it warms my heart to be a part of that full circle.

Art heals, saves, and inspires.

Thank you, hospitals. Hearts. Friends. For being a part of this most important journey with me. I'm so glad we're in this circle together.

XO,
Kelly Rae




8 comments:

Alberta Art Classes said...

What a lovely thing and such sweetness in this post...heading in for a few big tests. I needed a Brave Girl boost! Xo.

Giggles said...

What a lovely fruition!! I'm wondering if there is a message in knowing this!! Possibly more art needed in a children's hospital?
Always a pleasure to visit!!

Hugs Giggles

Elizabeth said...

Hi Kelly Rae Roberts…

Your journey is a blessing to everyone who sees it, and to know that hospitals are having it on their walls, and that it brings healing to the patients hearts is a plus…

How blessed you are and that in itself, in your beautiful art work you are a blessing to others as well…Teared eyed as I think of so many people sick with illnesses that take their lives out of course….

Thank you for being such a light in this world and for blessing those that see your art work in the hospitals and offices…

It is a blessing that art indeed Heals, Saves, & Inspires…

Sincerely,
Elizabeth Aviles

Christina Fajardo said...

Beautiful! I volunteer for a non-profit in Austin, TX called "Swan Songs." Please watch the video that I created from them, it will warm your heart.
http://youtu.be/7CwDeZDZUks

Love to you, Christina

Regina said...

The first time I saw your licensed art was in our local hospital's hospitality shop. So appropriate.
Many blessings to you.

Jo's Corner said...

What a sweet message to get from your sister, Kelly. I have terminal cancer that started with breast cancer. I had a Hospice Nurse who recommended making a Happy Wall that I could look at from my bed. I did that and I am happy to share that I have many of your pieces on that wall! And, they DO make me happy. My next purchase will be your "Mama" figurine. : )
Thanks for doing What you Do! Hugs ~ Jo

429a0bfa-7195-11e2-9ddd-000bcdca4d7a said...

When I was seven weeks post-partum with my first child, I was diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma. It was a very scary and anxiety filled time for me. It was nine long months of chemo and radiation, and although I would never have chosen this path on my own, it showed me so many amazing things about MYSELF that I never knew existed inside of me. On a vacation I took about halfway through the treatment, I ran into your art, and it was exactly what I needed to express my "new found" self. Brave Girl was one of the pieces I purchased. I have thrown around ideas of where I wanted to put it in my house, and now, a year and a half in remission, I have found the perfect place...my brand new daughter Olivia's room :)

Lynda Shoup said...

This is a very beautiful post. I am deeply moved by it.





circles