taking flight into art, love, and life (the blog)
Tuesday, February 05, 2013
The other day my sister was at Bronson Methodist Hospital in Michigan. She was with a friend who was having a suspicious lump removed. Hearts were heavy. As they were walking down the hall, they saw my canvas reproductions (including this one) hanging on the walls. My sister sent me a text. She said my art was on the walls, that is was an inspiration to women who were scared, hurting, uncertain.
Having worked many many years as a medical social worker in hospitals before becoming a full time artist, I always love the full circle moments that come when I hear stories of my art being found in hospitals. Hospitals are where I grew up in my 20's, leaning into the burdens and lightness that illness or uncertainty can bring to families. It's where I found life, and stories, and courage in every room, in every medical chart. It's where I learned that Hope was as strong a medicine as any other life saving treatment.
As I read the text from my sister, I felt that full circle blessing again. I cannot tell you how much I love that hospitals are supporting my work. I cannot tell you how much I love that it's giving patients and families a meaningful way, even if just for a brief moment when they pass it by in the halls, to be centered in their courage, vulnerability, and hope. I love the full circle-ness, too, that creating art is healing and nurturing and joyful for me and then, like the best of serendipity, it goes out into the world to become a small portal for someone else's healing and nurturing and joy when, against all odds, they find it staring back at them in a boutique, a hospital room, or office . I cannot tell you how it warms my heart to be a part of that full circle.
Art heals, saves, and inspires.
Thank you, hospitals. Hearts. Friends. For being a part of this most important journey with me. I'm so glad we're in this circle together.
When I finally put paint onto paper, my heart + life exploded with renewed passion and joy.Read more about my story.
My Painting E-course
It's Here! It's Here! You won't want to miss it.
Click here to get all the details.
NEW 30-Day Ecourse!
Get ready for a spiritual practice, and shaking up our morning routine to include compassionate self-talk, mantras, and getting dressed in JOY.Click here to join us!
This e-book is a game changer!Click here to get all the details.
Beauty + Truth
My mission is to create beautiful, meaningful artwork that tells the truth.
product with meaning
I believe in creating home + gift products that blend beauty, function, & honesty.
Retailers, click here for wholesale info
grab a button!
my journey (in chronological order from 2006 - 2009 ) into the creative life
- the whispers of inspiration
- the beginning
- feeling my heart lift
- first attempt at girlie painting
- humble beginnings
- i've come a long way since this
- when everything changed
- finding my style
- a review of that first year
- deciding to take the leap
- selling my first item on etsy
- beginning to build a business
- launching my website
- learning to be fearless
- still working out my style
- up up and away
- my first showing
- first gallery opening
- spilling myself into a book proposal
- book proposal accepted!
- the gremlins
- a more cohesive style emerges
- working on book projects
- published in a magazine for the first time
- a trip to ohio to meet with book publisher
- quitting my day job
- where i wrote the book
- embracing my vulnerabilities
- showing at a big san fran art festival
- licensing for the first time
- on guilt + the blues
- becoming a possibilitarian
- figuring out wholeness
- on becoming
- on saying no
- on magic + beginnings
- on anxiety
- finally seeing myself
- finding my community
- book is released
- teaching for the first time
- thoughts on riding the wave
- teaching in italy
- new studio space in seattle
- creative style turning point
- pretending until we're not
- new affirmation paintings emerge
- hired an assistant
- first keynote
- national product (home + gift) line debuts with DEMDACO
- new gift line debuts with demdaco
- love is the only thing that matters
- brand new website debuts
- first ever calendars + datebooks debut!
- feeling the pressure of it all
- on getting lovebombed (again)
- figuring out how to take care of myself
- on wanting to pinch myself
- on giving my medicine to the world
- some thoughts after three years of all of this
- on expanding my biz vision after a trip to kansas
- telling the truth about hard days
- on creative expansiveness
- on staying true in biz
- 2009 year in review
The Creative/biz journey continues in chronological order (2010 - present)
atlanta gift show part two!
on being brave
decorative art girlies arrive!
cover of somerset studio magazine!
it's about capacity + connection
announced my first e-course!
got an agent and a logo!
attending surtex in nyc for the first time!
why writing a letter to myself worked magic
on what it's like to run an ecourse
expanding our personal horizons
ranking #1 in gift beat's wall art category!
on inviting abundance of all kinds
decided not to play small
ranked #1 in gftbeat's inspirational category!
two year book anniversary
hired a portland asst!
babies make their appearance in my work!
new gift products are introduced
on missing my beginner artist self
featured in 10 pg national mag
traveled to China to see where products are made
announced new home decor line!
home decor line launches
celebrated 5 years of this life
greeting cards launched
moved oinline shop out of my house
launched hello soul, hello business
savoring vs dreaming
made a huge decision about online shop